Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Bag Ladies of the Fat Quarter CLub

Bag Ladies of the Fat Quarter Club



Matilda is ready to go to the quilt meeting and maybe a sleep over!!  

Abigail is gathering her supplied for next months meeting!

Saturday, September 2, 2017


Bag Ladies of the Fat Quarter Club





Constance is complete and Matilda is ready to stitch

Wednesday, August 2, 2017


Bag Ladies of the Fat Quarter Club



Mildred is complete!  I actually finished her a couple of weeks ago and I did remember to get her posted, unlike last month when time got away from  me! 



 I have Constance all ready to go!


Saturday, July 15, 2017

Singer Featherweight Machines

I have been interested in owning a Singer Featherweight machine.    
After searching on the internet  I was amazed at the different prices!   Any where from $69 to $2400!  A friend and I went to a shop  that sells  parts and repairs machines, I was giving up.  The friend texted her sister in law and ask if she still had two and was she willing to part with them.  She was so we set an appointment for yesterday to look at them.  At first she told us one was white and the other red.  I was excited to see them. 

The first one was in a red soft side case and was a
black machine and it is in very good condition.   

These are the words and numbers we pulled off the machine.   SIMANCO USA  45712   Serial number  AF245614 A little research  ( http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/featherweight/fhome/) gave us a lot of information.  The AF244106 through AF264105 serial numbers were produces in the US starting July 11, 1939 and 20,000 were produced.   

The second machine was in a wooden green and white case. The tray is missing from the case.  It is a white machine with a red S emblem.   Serial number EV965630.  It was made in Great Britain, probably in the Singer plant on Kilbowie, Scotland From 1947 through the late 1960's .   The EV909??? through EV998??? were produced in 1964. This is belt driven from upper to lower, meaning there is a belt on the inside instead of gears.

Another good site is https://singer-featherweight.com/blogs/schoolhouse/the-white-featherweight-221k

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Two finishes

 I am joining up with the Bag ladies of the Fat Quarter club with Hildegarde.  I think the hardest part of these ladies is the hair.  There are a lot of stitches to make it look full. I think I could have added more to it.

My Second finish in Batik Stars.  

Two stars from 15 different hombre batiks.

 They were sewn into rows, not complete stars because of the overlaps. 

Even though we were careful and looked it over several times before making rows, I still messed up three stars. 

 The black in the star point had to go away from the center pinwheel.  The black makes a secondary pinwheel block

 All of the mistakes were corrected here before It was sewn together.  I missed taking a picture of just the center part. 

The borders were added in sections with the star points.  Even though They were cut to length according to the pattern, I still had to take apart sections and shorten them. 

I expected to have to do a lot of taking apart and putting back, but it proved to be minimal! 

Another top to add to the stack for the quilter.

Monday, May 22, 2017

Batik Stars

 Batik Stars  Is a kit that I have had several years.  I purchased it at The Dallas Quilt Show.

The kit contained 15 hombre batiks,background,  inner border , outer border and backing to make either a twin, Queen, King or a California King and binding.  Since We can not quilt a king on our mid arm frame and no one has a queen, I decided I could make two twin size quilts. I am sure there will be a grandchild or great grandchild (someday in the far future) that will love them.   

 First we cut 4 black background and 6 light or dark background 6" squares.  Then 4 light or dark 4" squares. I tried to cut all of the large squares from the dark end of the fabric and the small from the light end.   This will make two stars of the same colors.

 Next, sew a seam  a quarter inch from  both sides of the diagonal center.  You end up with four of these.

 Batik on the front and black on the back. 

  Cut these apart between the seams. 

Press open,  There are eight of these.

 Aline the four inch square with the corner and across both colors.  Stitch on point to point across the small square.

 Draw a line about a half inch above the seam and stitch.  Cut these apart.

 You now have  eight five and a half inch squares  that make the star points.  Press open.

 Press open the remaining units. These will form the pinwheels for the star centers.

Trim and square up to three inches. 


Stitch four together to make a center pinwheel.  Make two.

I will post the layout. borders and finishing of the top later this week.