Friday, April 4, 2014

March Projects

March seemed to be a down month for me.  I did not get much accomplished, again.

I am linking up to the NewFO  Challenge over at Cat Patches.

This is Twister Illusions by Quilt Moments.  I purchased the pattern and  Fusion Fabric by Robert Kaufman at a new quilt shop in Plano, TX.  It has recently changed name to The Thread that Bind.  They are a Quilt and Needle work shop.

I had put this top together late last year and put it aside. 

I enjoy making Twister quilts.  The first one was hard because you make a top and then cut it up and sew it back together.  You sew the first border on and it is usually the same color as the back ground.  When I was cutting this  one I noticed that something was wrong. I had all ready cut the whole thing out before I realized that I had not added the first black border.

So ended up with something that looks like this after I added the border on to the shell. Then I had to cut another row across the top and bottom and down each side and add that quilt.

 This is the final product waiting for the quilter.

The next quilt was a little quilt that started out as a kit.  It use the Diamond Log Cabin by Cindi Edgerton and Little Bits. I purchased this kit at Happiness is  Quilting in McKinney Texas. This is a paper pieced pattern.

This is what the shop sample looked like. There were seven dark and four light batiks in the kit. I thought it would be prettier with eight colors,half dark and half-light.  I went to another quilt shop and bought four more light batiks. I already had one dark which I could use. These are the diamond  log cabins that I created

 I had seen this layout of this quilt at the quilt show.  I thought about doing it this way, but then changed my mind again. I decided to add more log cabins so I went back to the store but they did not have any yardage so I purchased a second kit.

The half triangles on the outside edge were supposed to be made out of darks. But I like it with the lights on the outside.

 Then I started playing with layouts. I liked both layouts so I took it to the local Bernina shop for suggestions.

 And this is the final product.

 I did a simple stitch in the ditch quilting to make a diamond pattern on the back also.
There are 24 light/dark diamonds
 24 all dark diamonds
32 light after diamonds
there are 1106 individual strips.
I had to add 17 more strips to that because I made one extra diamond.