Monday, December 24, 2012

Merry Christmas

It has been a while since I posted but I have been busy. 

 First up today is my Christmas quilt.  This was a BOM at the Bernina store.  It is Comfort and Joy by Silver Thimble Quilt Co. I think we did this in 2010/11.  The directions were for an experienced quilter that could look at the photo and work from it.  It did give directions on how to cut the background and borders,  make the filler strips, log cabin, nine patch, half square triangle units, churn dash , flying gees units,Square in  square,Stars (paper pieced) and berries.  The general directions were great and told you how many of each filler block that you would need, but not where the blocks were needed then. And since we got fabric for each month, we had to figure out what was needed.  I did enjoy the challenge but at least one person took hers back after the first month and wanted a refund. There were two color ways to choose from and I chose the light background. I did a simulated needle turn applique.  All of the edges are turned under and then machine zigzaged with monifilimant thread with a tiny stitch.


 This shows the border applique

 And this shows the quilting I did on the rest of the border. 






 These show some of blocks and the different filler blocks. 

I quilted this one myself.  I did a lot of stitch in the ditch and echo quilting.




  


The next one was also a BOM from the Bernina store. It is Vintage Memories by This and That.  This was in 2009/10. We used Moda  fabric by 3 Sister's called Martinique.It was a nine month BOM project.  The pattern said it was 77" X 97" but mine came out 82"x104".  


This is the center block. 

 One corner and borders. 

 Angel and Kirby approve.

 
 Kirby showing off the quilting on the back!





 I had this one quilted by a local lady. She had already quilted one of these so I gave her free rein! I got it back last Wednesday and bound it Thursday!

4 comments:

  1. Two fabulous Christmas quilts! And two fabulous quilt inspectors! Thanks for stopping by to see me, and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Fabulous! I love them both!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both beautiful quilts! That first quilt certainly looks challenging. Good for you for sticking with it and completing it! And I've always loved the Martinique fabric in the second one. She did a beautiful job quilting it. Two beautiful BOMs!

    ReplyDelete